Integrate Gmail Account into Microsoft Outlook Express: Step by Step Description
This entry was written by Rakesh.
Having a Gmail account not only facilitates with the best email service available but also gives you the added advantage with several option and ability to integrate it with desktop client email software such as Microsoft Outlook. For example, if you are using other email addresses and not just the Gmail account, most likely you would want to read and handle all your email accounts from the same interface & program.
But as for a newbie it is quite tricky to have it configured with Outlook Express to receive direct mails from Google’s Gmail Account.
Steps to Configure Outlook Express to receive mails from Gmail Account
1. To receive mails from Google Account first you need to set Gmail accounts to provide access to Outlook Express; to get it enabled; log in to your Gmail Account and click on settings > Forwarding and POP/IMAP.
From the option POP Download Enable POP for all mails or according to your choice (but not to choose disable POP), there is one more option (2) what you want Google will do when you have your copy with outlook; whether it delete or keep it choose accordingly. In IMAP access enable that too.
2. Now as you have created proper settings via Gmail Account now its time to have it integrate into Outlook; so open it.. Now from the main menu options go to tools > Email Accounts
3. This will come up with a new window as shown below… click on add new e-mail account and click next…
4. On the server type step, select POP3 or IMAP (depending on your needs) for the Outlook email account type, then click on Next. There is no need to select the IMAP type, because the Gmail web based account will anyway keep a copy of all emails, just like an IMAP account would do.
5. Now the next screen will prompt you to specify Outlook Gmail Settings like your username and password, Gmail server addresses, Gmail server ports and Outlook Gmail display name.
- On the User Information Section specify the name you want to be displayed when people receives your mail.
- On the Gmail Server Address
- Incoming mail server: imap.gmail.com
- Outgoing mail server: smtp.gmail.com
- After you configured the Server Names Click on next.
6. Now click on more settings with pop.gmail selected and go to the “Advanced” window tab.
If you use Gmail as a POP Outlook account:
- On the “Incoming server (POP3)” field, enter 995 and mark the box “This server requires an encrypted connection (SSL)”;
- On the “Outgoing server (SMTP)” field, enter 465 and mark the box “This server requires an encrypted connection (SSL)”.
If you use Gmail as an IMAP Outlook account:
- On the “Incoming server (IMAP)” field, enter 993 and mark the box “This server requires an encrypted connection (SSL)”;
- On the “Outgoing server (SMTP)” field, enter 587 and mark the box “This server requires an encrypted connection (TLS)”.
You can also change the server timeouts period: this defines the time interval for which Outlook will wait to establish a Gmail connection, before triggering a connection error. The slower your Internet connection is, the greater period you should put.
The “Delivery” options are not important for an Outlook Gmail account: no matter what you would change here, Gmail will always keep a copy of each email on the Gmail server.
Now this has all done from the configuration part now to verify your Outlook Gmail setup, click on the “Test Account Settings” button: this will make Outlook to attempt to login to your Gmail account and to send & receive an Outlook test email. If the test will succeed, you will notice the test email in your Outlook Inbox folder. If the test fails, Outlook will prompt you with the error messages – most likely, you didn’t setup the correct server settings or the Gmail password is wrong.
Articles of your intrest
- Trace an email: Read, Send, Forward or deleted by receiver easily
- Gmail Attachment over 25 Mb not supported! Alternative to send large attachment!
- Best way to manage Gmail|Yahoo|MSN email Login Acounts with Passwords Plus
- How to hack an email account…. application used to cracking email id password…
- 42000+US Zip codes on Finger tips: Search US zip by time zone, city, area code – priority defined
- Do you have a kid? Download over 2000 challenging Science quizzes and structured questions to practise
- How to verify Spam Email Address whether it exist or not?